In this first sample of UX design I am going to propose a better solution for the interface of Uber, the mobile application, which allows consumers with smartphones to submit a trip request which is then routed to Uber drivers who use their own cars.
To achieve the result I am going to use the methods and techniques of User Experience Design.
The result of this study was the realization of a prototype: http://marvl.in/dbh8c4
I encourage to read all the steps to design the prototype (that was just the final step).
I apologize if they can be too didactic but I want to demonstrate how User Experience is a process that requires analysis, but generally the result is surprising and can really make the difference.
The next six pictures show how the interfarce of Uber was before the application of User Experience:
This interface has been submitted to a group of users.
1. The first step of the methods of User Experience Design is the Research (Gatering and analysing user data).
Qualitative analysis revealed Pain Points and Goals through the technique of Observation.
- User is not sure to type the credit card at very beginning - no explanation given;
- The button “Request Taxi” is not clear. The User is not sure if he will be charged for a taxi straight away after pressing the button;
- The user is expecting to find “from” and “to” (destination) field instead of just “from”;
- “Fare estimate” button is not clear because destination field has not been specified.
- Clarifiying why the user needs to put a credit card number in the very beginning;
- Clarifying to the User that he will be charged only after confirming the booking;
- Making sure that the user can find a destination field.
2. After the Research I need to clarify three aspects of the Concept: Personas, Ideation, Scenario
- The purpose of personas is to create reliable and realistic representations of your key audience segments for reference. These representations should be based on qualitative and some quantitative user research and web analytics.
- Ideation sessions can be used to explore design problems and look for innovative solutions.
- Scenarios describe the stories (written) and context behind why a specific user or user group comes to your site or uses your product.
3. Design&Prototyping help to have a visual rapresentation how the user interacts with the application
A prototype is an almost realistic representation of what I’m building. It can be tested on users in order to help to validate my new design with the solution to the Pain Points.
4. After the Low -fidelity prototype there is the High-fidelity prototype. A new interface has been built with purposes of the Goals (identified in the Research, step 1).
This phase introduces to Coding and Building
The result of this study was the realization of a High Fidelity Prototype: https://marvelapp.com/dbh8c4.
The last two steps are:
• Review metrics
• Integrate code
• Iterate design
• Usability testing
• Beta testing